IMPAC

Okay, so this isn't really to do with children's writing but I'm sort of on vacation here and it is good news. Montreal writer Rawi Hage has won the IMPAC Prize for his novel De Niro's Game (Anansi). If you follow the link you see a headline saying the winner of the IMPAC was "uveiled" by the Lord Mayor of Dublin. Which does conjure up a rather strange picture for those of us who suffer from being overly literal-minded.

Here's a bit from the press release:

On hearing about his win Rawi Hage said "I am a fortunate man. After a long journey of war, displacement and separation, I feel that I am one of the few wanderers who is privileged enough to have been rewarded, and for that I am very grateful. My gratitude extends to many people, but let me start with special thanks to the people of Ireland for their legendary hospitality and love of literature and words; to the organizers of the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and the award’s sponsors; and to the city of Dublin and its Lord Mayor. As well, to all those women and men of letters, and all artists who have chosen to represent multiple and diverse voices and people in their work, and to all those men and women who have chosen the painful and costly portrayal of truth over tribal self-righteousness, I am grateful. We should all be grateful."

Comments

Popular Posts