PEI or bust

An interesting press release from Alina over at Penguin in my (recently re-accessible) email. Has to do with a contest I hadn't heard about where the prize is a trip to PEI. I would love a trip to PEI! And I've missed it. How heart-rendering, as dear Anne would say.

Here's my favourite bit from the press release:

Penguin Group (Canada) has announced the winners of a national letter-writing contest in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables. The announcement was made Friday at the site of L.M. Montgomery’s Cavendish home at a ceremony unveiling two commemorative stamps from Canada Post, and a series of commemorative stamps to be issued by the post in Japan.

Winners were announced in four age categories as follows:
Age 10 and under: Rebecca Brooks, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Age 11–14: Traleena Rouleau, Braeside, Ontario
Age 15–17: Hannah Tufts, Elgin, Manitoba
Age 18 and over: Sarah Khan, Mississauga, Ontario, and Bill H. Wiebe, Port Rowan, Ontario (Co-winners)

In the 18 and over category, a national jury chaired by the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson unanimously agreed the prize must be shared....
There were two extraordinary entries, one by Sarah Khan, a Muslim who comes from Saudi Arabia, and the other from Bill Wiebe, a farmer from Ontario. Sarah found Anne of Green Gables in a pile of trash left by American soldiers following the first Gulf War; Bill identifies heavily with Anne, even though Anne is a woman.

In her letter to Anne, co-winner Sarah Khan said the following:

“My curiosity was cured before it began. Books and magazines were strictly forbidden from entering the Kingdom. In my ninth year, I met you. After the first Gulf War, the Americans went back to their land, leaving behind garbage that became our treasure. I found your book sitting in a pile of trash in the American compound, and I instantly fell in love with your red braids and big green eyes. I spent the next three days reading it, and getting to know you. Those three days were the defining moment of my life. I found myself in you, through you. I was not alone in being rebellious and curious and free spirited. Anne, you became my soul-mate and to this day I hold your memory dear; you drive and inspire me every single day to be the
woman I want to be.”

Each of the five winners will receive a $2,500 travel voucher to visit Prince Edward Island, courtesy of Tourism PEI, a set of commemorative stamps from Canada Post, a commemorative coin from The Royal Canadian Mint, a collection of the 100th Anniversary books published by Penguin Group (Canada), and a limited edition print of L.M. Montgomery. Sponsors of the national letter-writing contest included Penguin Group (Canada), Tourism PEI, Canada Post, and Canwest Raise-A-Reader. The winning entries will be posted on 100yearsofanne.com.

Comments

Anonymous said…
perfect. almost too perfect.

Popular Posts